[Geany-devel] YAML syntax highlighting support

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Thu Nov 27 17:56:27 UTC 2008

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 08:07:43 +0400, "Walery Studennikov"
<despairr at gmail.com> wrote:

>2008/11/23 Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>:
>> On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 21:30:12 +0400, "Walery Studennikov"
>> <despairr at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi.
>>>
>>>I wish to add syntax highlighting support for YAML
>>>and I've performed some effort in this area.
>>>Here is the patch with my try.
>>>But highlighting still doesn't work.
>>>What have I missed? Please, help ;)
>>
>> See the attached patch for a more complete version. You missed basic
>> changes in src/highlighting.c.
>>
>> Please note that the attached patch is made from GIT, so you need to
>> apply it with:
>> patch -p1 < /path/to/geany_yaml_v2.patch
>
>Thank you.
>I've made the final version of the patch -- it is attached.
>
>> Should we add YAML to Geany?
>> I'm not sure whether it is widely used and so whether it's reasonable
>> to add yet another filetype for it.
>
>I'm working in web-programming world, where text-based serialization
>formats are used widely.
>
>And the three pillars of base text formats are: XML, JSON and YAML.
>The meaning and significance of last two formats are growing.
>
>If we support XML in geany, why we do not support other two of those
>pillars: JSON and YAML? ;)
>JSON is mostly: "machine-writeable", but YAML files are very often
>"human-writeable" and it is important to have convenient editor for
>them.
>
>And I'm sure thet geany is convenient (and should be convenient) not
>only for "low-level" languages and "low-level" applications, but also

The only low-level language we support is ASM. Even C is a
high-level programming language although many people seem not wanting
to believe this :).
Anyway, I got your point.

I think I add the filetype tomorrow or at the weekend.