[Geany-devel] Committed Manual with Build System Updated to build-system branch

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Thu Nov 6 18:37:24 UTC 2008

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 13:45:00 +1100
"Lex Trotman" <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have committed a new version of the manual which I hope better
> explains the
> functionality of the build system I would like to end up at.  It uses
> screen shots of the build menu and
> "Set Build Menu Commands" dialog to explain it better.  I have also
> added a rationale
> so that the intention is clearer.
>
> Looking forward to your comments.

Looks good, I've only had a quick look though. Some quick points:

I don't think by default there should be separate Make All and Make
commands, usually they are the same.

I think really the project commands Custom Command and Execute should be
separated from the other commands in the Build Menu Commands dialog,
e.g.:

Build commands:
  Make
  Make Object

Custom command:
  Make Custom Target

Run command:
  Execute

This is because they are special (prompting for command editing or
running in a separate window/VTE).

Also, sorry to keep quibbling over syntax, but maybe just use "Project
Commands" instead of "Project Build Menu Commands"? The dialog already
says Build Menu, repeating it seems redundant.

Regards,
Nick