[Geany-devel] Committed Project Build Commands to build-system branch

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Wed Nov 5 17:13:28 UTC 2008

Hi,
Sorry for the delay. (As I said in another mail, my net connection was
broken for 2 weeks.)

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 19:30:03 +1100
"Lex Trotman" <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have committed a prototype of the first part of the changes
> proposed for the build system to
> the build system branch.

Cool. I just made some minor commits to fix a warning and refactor
some GUI code.

BTW there are some formatting issues:
1. Some spaces instead of tabs being used for indentation (e.g. in
build.c).
2. Spacing - instead of:

if( blah!=foo )some_func( foo );

use:

if (blah != foo) some_func(foo);

Please use the existing code style (see HACKING).

The indentation is the most important one, could you fix this please?

About the code:
1. No real need to check if ptr is null before g_free(ptr).

2. I think we should move the new build_* GeanyProject fields to a
GeanyProjectPrivate struct, similar to
GeanyDocumentPrivate/GeanyFiletypePrivate. The implementation of those
fields might change, so they shouldn't be in the plugin API. I can make
this change unless someone disagrees.

> If a project is open the dialog will have extra fields to provide
> labels and commands to replace
> the "Make" series of menu items on the build menu.

(I guess replacing the make menu items is not implemented yet.)

> On the menu any
> label or command which
> is not set will revert to the default (the same as without any
> project).  By default no labels or
> commands are set in the project file, so unless the user does
> something (sets them) there
> will be no change. These labels and commands are saved and restored
> with the project file.

Maybe by default they should be set to the default make command
labels and commands. Otherwise the dialog is unintuitive - just empty
boxes.

> Note when using commands set in the project file, the "make" command
> path in tools preferences
> is not used so that each command can have a different path. Therefore
> the command entered in
> the "Set Build Menu Commands" dialog must include any path it
> requires.  Any command that
> reverts to default will still use the "make" command path so that it
> operates as usual.

OK.

> At the moment there is no way to reset project commands to default
> without hand editing the
> project file.Setting them to blank does just that, it doesn't reset to
> default.  A "reset to default"
> button will be added.

Hmm, why not just use the default if they're blank?

Regards,
Nick