[Geany-devel] struct names / geany macro

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Tue May 27 14:34:02 UTC 2008

On Mon, 26 May 2008 13:03:21 +0100
Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 25 May 2008 22:20:01 +0200
> Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> > I started using the underscores because I thought this is common
> > practise (at least I read a lot of code where underscores are used)
> > and at some point there were problems if structs and types had the
> > same name, so the easiest solution was to prefix the struct name
> > with
>
> Do you remember what problems there were?

Just to add info:

Although I haven't yet found a link to the relevant part of the ISO C90
standard, I've read elsewhere that struct names and typedef names have
separate namespaces.

http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2008/03/26/8336829.aspx

So for new code (such as our API) it ought to be fine to use the same
name for each. Also I'm pretty sure I'd done this a few times already
when we got the portability patch and that didn't mention that it was
an issue. I know that C99 adoption is not good, but C90 should be fine.

Regards,
Nick