[Geany-devel] Removing deprecated macros (was Re: Further API changes before 0.15)

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Fri May 23 11:49:18 UTC 2008

On Thu, 22 May 2008 21:43:33 +0300
Yura Siamashka <yurand2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 22 May 2008 17:58:35 +0100
> Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> > If anyone has any comments/ideas about how to improve the API
> > (without too much porting needed), let us know.
>
> Since API changes require modification of all plugins to compile
> anyway maybe it is good time do drop deprecated macroses.

Maybe we could drop almost all the pre-0.14 deprecated stuff. The more
recent deprecated macros I added to make porting easier. But we should
be clear why if we do this - e.g. do the macros cause name conflicts for
plugin authors often?

Anyone else have opinions on this?

One reason why I haven't dropped the old function macros yet is because
sometime I can imagine having an auto-generated wrapper library for the
geany_functions function pointers, so plugins can just write the
function name like in the core. Not sure how difficult it would be to
auto-generate yet.

Regards,
Nick