[Geany-devel] API: headers / GeanyEditor / gint idx

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Fri Jun 13 14:57:54 UTC 2008

This is an update for anyone that hasn't looked at the new SVN branch.

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 16:51:59 +0100
Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

> > > 3. The document functions could take/return a GeanyDocument
> > > pointer instead of a document index, which would avoid the use of:
> > > documents[idx]->

This code is now in the SVN branches/document-pointer directory, and
will be merged probably next week, after some related things have been

> > > This could be quite a big change, so it could be brought in
> > > gradually by having an additional p_documents field in
> > > GeanyFunctions, using a documents_ prefix for the new functions
> > > instead of document_. Once the changes are complete we could
> > > deprecate the old ones.

I changed my mind - I don't think we should have both p_document and
p_documents - this just delays when we break plugins, and if we did
that we'd still have to break the ABI to remove p_documents. The idea
was also to rename the document_ prefix documents_, but this won't be
done now (see earlier mails in this thread).

> I think it can be done without breaking things - my first goal is to
> update the plugin API, so the core would be unaffected at first. I'll
> add a private Document::index field and then wrap the adapted document
> functions

This field is now public - GeanyDocument::index. This might make
porting easier, and may be useful in other ways.


More information about the Devel mailing list