[Geany-devel] Windows GTK 2.6 builds

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue Jun 10 12:51:12 UTC 2008

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 12:43:40 +0100, Nick Treleaven
<nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 21:41:34 +0200
> Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > does anyone care about the Windows GTK 2.6 builds?
>
> Maybe you could ask this on the main list ;-)

Sure, just wanted to get a first opinion :D.

> > But I'm anyway asking myself if it's necessary to provide all these
> > three files or if it weren't enough to provide only GTK 2.12 builds:
> > the full installer (everything included, ready to go) and the ZIP
> > file only including Geany itself for fast downloads.
> >
> > Yes, this will stop Win9x support where GTK 2.12 doesn't run.
> >
> > I'm just a little sick of compiling Geany on Windows every time two
> > time from scratch. This is necessary for the GTK major versions.
> > Only GTK 2.6 would mean no printing support on Windows and some
> > minor missing features. GTK 2.12 means no Windows 9x support.
>
> Personally I don't care about this. In the past I thought it was worth
> it, but my WinME machine is so messed up things don't really work
> anyway - Geany doesn't redraw the text properly - this may just be
> because of a completely messed up Windows system, DLLs overwritten
> with broken ones, etc.

Yeah, I also think there are actually not many Windows 9x users using
Geany anymore. And even if, they can still build it from source.

> Anyway, I think it's reasonable to stop providing binaries for Win9x,
> they can use the older ones or if someone else wants to do it, they
> can. Probably it's still useful to keep GTK 2.6 source compatibility
> in case any linux devs want to test windows code and only have an
> ancient windows install.

Of course, I never wanted to drop GTK 2.6 source compatibility. This
doesn't hurt and is no problem at all. I'm only a bit tired of the
extensive Windows build process (make clean, make all, make clean, make
all, and again if anything has failed in between...and this on an
emulated Windows on my main system...)