[Geany-devel] Windows GTK 2.6 builds

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon Jun 9 19:41:34 UTC 2008

Hi,

does anyone care about the Windows GTK 2.6 builds?

As you might know, the geany-$version_nogtk_setup.exe and
geany-$version_win32.zip files contain a geany.exe which is linked
against GTK 2.6 libs whereas geany-$version_setup.exe (full installer)
has a geany.exe which is linked against a recent GTK version which
runtime part is also included in the installer.

I was just testing something and accidentally screw up my gtk2.6 and
gtk2.12 folders (they got copied into each other, yay!). But it's a not
real problem at all.
But I'm anyway asking myself if it's necessary to provide all these
three files or if it weren't enough to provide only GTK 2.12 builds:
the full installer (everything included, ready to go) and the ZIP file
only including Geany itself for fast downloads.

Yes, this will stop Win9x support where GTK 2.12 doesn't run.

I'm just a little sick of compiling Geany on Windows every time two time
from scratch. This is necessary for the GTK major versions.
Only GTK 2.6 would mean no printing support on Windows and some minor
missing features. GTK 2.12 means no Windows 9x support.

Advantages:
- I will have more time to code instead of building Windows stuff
- less confusing download possibilities to Windows users

Disadvantages:
- we loose Windows 9x users (if there are any)