[Geany-devel] Alternative build system: Waf.

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Thu Jun 5 16:17:47 UTC 2008

On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 17:04:34 +0100, Nick Treleaven
<nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 16:35:28 +0200
> Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > in SVN r2646, I added support for an alternative build system to
> > configure and compile Geany's sources.
> > It's called Waf (http://code.google.com/p/waf/) and really nice ;-).
>
> What maintenance does it need - e.g. if I add a source file or
> change configure.in, Makefile.am does it need updating?

Depends on what you change ;-).
Adding source files generally don't need updating as source files are
currently found using find_sources_in_dirs(), see lines 246, 256 and
270.

Generally the two most important functions are configure() and build().
But if you don't like updating it when you change anything in the
configure.in/Makefile.am's, then just skip it, I'll do it afterwards.

And I forgot just another thing to mention before:
Waf has another disadvantage: it's not as good documented as it could
be ;-). Anyway, it's not that difficult at all.