[Geany-devel] Dropping "Insert Data"?

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Jul 13 12:06:19 UTC 2008

Hey,

since SVN r2775, snippets can also be used to insert variable content
like the template wildcards {year}, {date} and {datetime}.

So, basically the "Insert Date" code in the Edit menu is more or less
not necessary anymore as it can be emulated with snippets like:
[Default]
date={date}
datetime={datetime}

So, I'm thinking of dropping the whole code for the "Insert Date" menu
items.

Pros:
- lots of code can be removed
- avoid duplicate functionality in the core
- less bloated Edit and Editor popup menu

Cons:
- a little less flexibility for the date/time format
- (more?)

Alternatively, we could move the "Insert Date" code into an internal or
external plugin.

Any ideas, opinions, objections?