[Geany-devel] keybinding order issues

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Fri Jul 4 14:08:27 UTC 2008

Hi,
I'm thinking about changing the keybindings_send_command() / keybinding
enums code, for two reasons:
1. We can't change the order of keybindings without breaking the plugin
ABI.
2. We can't reorder/move keybindings in groups without breaking the
plugin ABI and the API.
3. The keybindings_send_command(GEANY_KEY_GROUP_FOCUS,
GEANY_KEYS_FOCUS_COMPILER) syntax seems redundant - why not just
keybindings_send_command(GEANY_KEYS_FOCUS_COMPILER)?

The 3rd issue isn't that important, but it would be nice to avoid it,
as it could be a source of bugs.

To solve this, we could have the GEANY_KEYS_ commands share a single
enum, but unsorted so we can append items as needed. All the group
enums could be moved into keybindings.c, renaming them so all the
existing code works without changes. The only function that would need
updating would be keybindings_send_command(), plus storing the
GEANY_KEYS_ enum value in each keybinding struct, so that function can
find the callback.

Does this sound a good idea?

Regards,
Nick