[Geany-devel] New "populate-edit-menu" plugin signal

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue Jul 1 18:42:48 UTC 2008

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 12:25:56 +0100, Nick Treleaven
<nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 17:58:38 +0200
> Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just added a new signal for plugins: "populate-edit-menu".
> > The intended use is to modify or extend the editing menu
> > (right-click popup menu) before it is shown.
>
> I think this should be called "show-editor-menu" or
> "update-editor-menu", as although the spellcheck plugin uses it to
> populate a sub-menu, the top-level editor menu should not be populated
> during this signal call. So it should be used to update existing
> editor_menu items. (And using 'editor' instead of 'edit' seems to
> avoid confusion with the File->Edit menu).

Ok, I don't mind changing the name, I was completely unsure about the
naming and chose "populate" as this is often used but actually to
really populate a menu instead of updating as in our case.
I'll change this tomorrow.

> Also I think menu items should not be hidden, but just set
> insensitive, so the user can see what options are available even when
> they can't be activated.

In general yes, in case of the spell check menu item, I choosed the
current way to make it behave like gtkspell. gtkspell does hide the
Spell Check menu item if there is nothing to correct.
Again, generally I'd fully agree but in this case I think it's better
to have the look and feel from gtkspell.