[Geany-devel] Patch adding auto-close brackets, braces and string r1

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Tue Dec 16 12:27:42 UTC 2008

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 04:58:48 +0100 (CET)
ioguix at free.fr wrote:

> > Though this function treats all kinds of strings equally, that is
> > for languages like C or Python where you have different kind of
> > strings ('blah', "blah", ''' blag ''', ...) this function returns
> > TRUE for all kinds. But you probably want something more
> > fine-grained to differentiate between 'blah' and "blah".
> Ok. This is a good start anyway. We could at least disabling
> auto-close quotes inside a string...
> However, I noticed simple quoted strings and double quoted strings
> are sometime highlighted with different colors (depending of the
> current language type, C doesn't, PHP does)...So I guess Scintilla
> parser has some internal mechanism to handle this.

Yes, the sci_get_style_at() function returns an enum value specific to
each lexer.

> @nick:
> If we can do this using a plugin, I think it is do-able...I'm not

It doesn't need to be a plugin, at least not yet. Maybe I shouldn't
have mentioned it ;-) It's might be better in the core at first so you
can use core-only functions.

> really closed to the idea as I thought maybe we could fine tune this
> kind of feature using some language oriented configuration.
> Using a language oriented configuration plugin, we could do far more
> than just auto-closing quotes and brackets (don't ask me what tonight
> plz :P). I should admit however that I'm not very enclin presently to
> maintain such a plugin which needs a lot of work to be very
> interesting...

Regards,
Nick