[Geany-devel] Persistency

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Mon Dec 15 13:37:23 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 11:28:00 +0100
Stephan Aßmus <superstippi at gmx.de> wrote:

> this is my first mail to this list, so I want to tell you that Geany
> is quite a cool editor and IDE. Although I am using it as an editor
> only, since the project format of the project I am working on does
> not seem to be supported (cmake). I searched the archives a bit and
> saw that someone is working on a cmake plugin.

Geany doesn't support any build systems really. Projects are not for
managing build systems.

> I also searched the archives on the following problem, but it didn't
> turn up much: My problem is that Geany does not store any persistency
> information with the files I edit. I take it that it would do that if
> I were working on a project. Every time I open a file again which I

Geany saves session information when closing a project or quitting
Geany (without a project open).

> have closed meanwhile, the scrollbar and cursor are at the top of the
> file, the selection is lost. Wouldn't it be much better if that

The selection and precise scrollbar position are currently not saved
with sessions. Cursor position is.

> persistency information were stored with each individual files
> instead? Can't file metadata/attributes be used for this? (That being
> said, I don't even know if Ubuntu has xattr support turned on by
> default...) That method would be much more robust and scalable.

Not sure if it would be portable then.

This could be done as a plugin to handle support for persistency when
any file is closed/reopened. Probably this shouldn't be in the core.

Regards,
Nick