[Geany-Users] Diff to stored file

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu Aug 27 11:47:26 UTC 2015

On 27 August 2015 at 21:10, Torquil Macdonald Sørensen
<torquil at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> If I have a file opened in Geany with unsaved modifications, is there a
> simple way to get a diff to the corresponding stored file?

Unless there is something hidden in a plugin or one of the external
plugins, no.

> I know that I can use the GeanyVC plugin to get a diff to the most
> recent version committed in the VC system, but this is not exactly what
> I want, because in most cases the stored file was not yet committed to
> the VC system.

And Geanyvc stores the buffer to the file before calling the VCS since
no VCS can access the buffer in memory.

> Perhaps the GeanyVC plugin could have this as an additional function?

Not really a VC function, what your new plugin would have to do is to
store the buffer contents into a temporary file and compare that
(using external diff tools such as meld if you like).