[Geany-Users] Feature request: "Open all" (after "Find in files")

Thomas Martitz kugel at xxxxx
Fri Sep 12 08:06:12 UTC 2014

Am 11.09.2014 13:38, schrieb Péter:
> Lex Trotman wrote:
>>> I can manually add the extra "-l" option to grep, but maybe it is
>>> worth to
>>> add a "only file names" checkbox too.
>>
>> You wouldn't need to do that, just ignore the line number in the
>> message window.  Opening from clicking on the line in the message
>> window already checks if the file is open and just switches to it
>> without re-opening.
>>
>> Exactly where "open all files listed in the message window" menu item
>> should go is debatable, but if a pull request was provided then that
>> can be bikeshedded afterwards.
>
> I guess it may be a quite common procedure currently to:
> 1. issue a "find in files" (with extra "-l" grep-option to achieve a
> *lot* shorter list);
> 2. keep pressed the "next message" until all files (with the searched
> text in them) get opened;
> 3. issue a "replace all (in session, i.e. opened files)" command.
>
> The 2. point is cumbersome, ugly, and maybe error-prone (is it
> guaranteed that no file will skipped? will it start from the first hit?).

You can do all of this in a single grep-sed combo without involving geany.

I guess if we wanted to have such a functionality inside Geany I would
do it in a way which doesn't actually involve opening the files. Perhaps
by calling sed (like we call grep for find in files).

Best regards.