[Geany-Users] can't run local build on RHEL6

Rob van Riel rob_van_riel at xxxxx
Mon Sep 1 15:07:46 UTC 2014

Not having been provided with a proper editor by the IT folks, I tried to
do a local build and install of Geany. I didn't do any funny stuff, just
unpacked the source tarball and ran

./configure --prefix=$HOME/bin/geany
make
make check
make install

All seemed well, but when I try to run Geany for real, I get the output
below.

Can anyone make sense of what is going on, and what to do about it?

Thanks in advance

Rob

~/bin/geany/bin> ./geany -v
Geany-INFO: Geany 1.24.1, C
Geany-INFO: GTK 2.18.9, GLib 2.22.5
Geany-INFO: System data dir: /home/<me>/bin/geany/share/geany
Geany-INFO: User config dir: /home/<me>/.config/geany
Geany-INFO: System plugin path: /home/<me>/bin/geany/lib/geany
Geany-INFO: Added filetype CUDA (58).
Geany-INFO: Added filetype Clojure (59).
Geany-INFO: Added filetype Cython (60).
Geany-INFO: Added filetype Genie (61).
Geany-INFO: Added filetype Go (62).
Geany-INFO: Added filetype Graphviz (63).
Geany-INFO: Added filetype Scala (64).

(geany:7535): Gtk-WARNING **: Could not find the icon 'text-plain'. The
'hicolor' theme
was not found either, perhaps you need to install it.
You can get a copy from:
        http://icon-theme.freedesktop.org/releases

(geany:7535): Geany-WARNING **: failed to load icon 'classviewer-var':
Icon 'classviewer-var' not present in theme

(geany:7535): Geany-WARNING **: failed to load icon 'classviewer-method':
Icon 'classviewer-method' not present in theme
./geany: symbol lookup error: ./geany: undefined symbol:
gtk_widget_get_mapped