[Geany-Users] autocompletion issues

Mike Miller geany-users at xxxxx
Wed Oct 30 05:24:48 UTC 2013

Hi,

I noticed autocompletion never seemed to work right for me in geany, even though
I had all the checkboxes checked in the preferences.  It could only complete
things I had already written.  After seeing completion work well in another
editor I decided to dig in and try to figure out why.

Turns out that I had to learn about tag files, find the files myself and put
them in a certain folder.  Not so bad.  But I notice that it still doesn't work
unless I type at least 5 characters, even though I have the number set to 3 in
the preferences.  For example I have to type "backg" or "text-" in a css file
before the popup comes up.  In python I notice keywords don't complete.

What am I doing wrong?  Geany should be able to complete keywords at a minimum,
it already has them all specified in the filedef.conf files.  The basics here
should work out of the box in my opinion... for an editor as friendly as Geany.

I'd like to help, though unfortunately haven't written C/++ in many years.  But,
I could certainly pack up files and check them in, make another debian package,
add tips to the preference dialog strings, etc.
How can we make the experience better?

-Mike