[Geany-Users] How to Set Custom Commands in Geany

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu Jun 27 10:42:28 UTC 2013

[...]

> I am sorry if i am being a pain guys. Matthew's adivce was great I was
> able to add any commands i wished. The thing is doesn't work properly,
> meaning the selection never gets send to the command. eg: I select
> Documents and I send it to ls. Instead of listing the Documents directory,
> it lists the current directory, ~ in this case. I even tried full path. It
> doesn't work for grep command either. What am I doing wrong this time?

The selection is not made part of the command, it is sent to the standard
input of the selection, and the standard output is pasted in the buffer in
place of the selection. See
http://www.geany.org/manual/current/index.html#sending-text-through-custom-commands