[Geany-Users] Sluggish (slow; transiently non-responsive) Geany?

Victoria S. 1 at xxxxx
Tue Jul 23 00:10:29 UTC 2013

Hello: Can anyone comment on this? Thanks ...

I am experiencing frequent sluggish/non-responsive behavior persisting several seconds upon routine use of Geany - virtually every copy/paste action.  During these episodes, Geany appears to 'freeze;' it is increasingly annoying to me.

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64 bit
Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50GHz × 4
Geany 1.23

I generally several tabs open in Geany, copying and pasting text from my web browser (Firefox) and the gnome-terminal into Geany.  These Geany files are rather small: at most several hundred lines long (e.g. up to ~1200 or so lines).

I have just a few plugins running (all from the default installation - nothing exotic),

Addons  |  Export  |  Extra Selection  |  Save Actions  |  Shift Column  |  Spell Check  |  Split Window  |  Tree Browser  |  Updatechecker

... although I did tweak the following two configuration files, a bit,as shown:

'snippets.conf' :

sep1==============================================================================
sep2========================================
sep3=-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
sep4=---------------------------------------
sep5=- - - - - - - - - -

1at=1 at VictoriasJourney.com

#snip=[snip]
Snip=    [ ... SNIP! ... ]

'filetypes.common' :

# third argument: if true, use this foreground color
# fourth argument: if true, use this background color
#white_space=0xc0c0c0;0xffffff;true;false
white_space=0xFF0000;0xFFFFDD;true;true
# test:      test       test
# some colors:
# http://www.color-hex.com/
# http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2188492/flex-colorpicker-load-colors-from-xml
# http://www.color-hex.com/
# http://aprendiendocss3.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/hex_colors.jpg
# more compact (fewer shown): http://www.flymedia.co.uk/help-in-general.php
# navy blue: 0x23238E
# red: 0xFF0000
# v. light yellow: 0xFFFFBB  |  0xFFFFCC  |  0xFFFFDD
# v. light gray: 0xCCCCCC  |  0xDDDDDD  |  0xEEEEEE  # 0xFFFFF is white, essent.

# http://html-color-codes.com/

# restart Geany for these to take effect:
# commented text color (#):
#comment=0xd00000   # red
#comment=0x7a7a7a   # medium gray  (0x000000 = black)
#comment=0x666666   # dark gray
#comment=0xcc66ff   # light purple
comment=0x9900cc   # darker purple
# restart Geany for these to take effect:
# docstring color ("""  text """); e.g. Python:
#string=0xff8000  # light orange
string=0xff3300  # darker orange