[Geany] "Find in Files" doesn't work on Windows 7

Fischer, RonaldX O ronaldx.o.fischer at xxxxx
Fri Mar 16 12:52:18 UTC 2012

> On 16 March 2012 23:01, Fischer, RonaldX O
> <ronaldx.o.fischer at intel.com> wrote:
> > When I execute "Find in Files", a console windows pops up for a
> fraction of a second, and
> > then disappears. No results being shown, also no error message.
> >
> > The "message" line of Geany shows:
> >
> > grep -nHlrF -- ....
> >
> > The only grep.exe in my PATH is the Cygwin implementation of grep.
> This should work well, and
> > even if there is a problem with my grep, I wonder why I don't see any
> error message.
>
> Please always specify version and platform when asking questions.

Geany: 0.21
Platform: Windows 7 (64bit)

> Does the grep command work with those options if you try it on the
> command line in the appropriate directory?

Yes. It returns a list of filenames which matched.

> Anything grep outputs should be shown, so perhaps it doesn't return
> anything, including an error message.

There is some output - I can see it while the console Windows is flashing
open -, but the time is to short to read it.

> Unfortunately some more user friendly completion processing is
> available in Unix, but Windows does not provide the same completion
> statuses.

No, but in this case, I don't see why Geany should not be able to start grep.
I even configured it by specifying the complete path (C:\Cygwin\bin\grep.exe)
of the grep command - same effect.

Ronald