[Geany] Help with custom compiler

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Thu Jul 19 12:57:53 UTC 2012

On 18/07/2012 21:23, Laszlo Nagy wrote:
> I could use this custom build command under linux:
>

> python /whatever_path/compiler.py "%f"
>
> and it works. However, under windows this custom build command:
>
> C:\Python27\python.exe c:\whatever_path\compiler.py "%f"
>
> does not work. When I press F8 then Geany starts python.exe (I can see
> it from the task manager). Then it takes a long time before it responds,
> telling that the compilation failed. If I start the very same command
> line in a terminal (cmd.exe) then it runs within 0.1 sec.

This sounds like an annoying problem I have run into on Windows also. If
you check Help->Debug Messages after the long wait (30 seconds?), I
expect you see a message like:

CreateChildProcess: CreateProcess failed

In the latest Git version, I've added a status bar message explaining
that the process timed out - although really it is not a time out but a
bug in Windows process spawning. If you build from source, you can
replace '30*1000' in src/win32.c to something smaller like '5*1000' for
5s, but this causes problems if a process really does take more than
that time.

I've tried to find a real solution but failed, and ideally it should be
asynchronous spawning anyway.

Nick