[Geany] More flexibility in placing widgets

Niraj Dudani blusynapse at xxxxx
Sat Jan 28 07:11:43 UTC 2012

Perhaps some of this applies to GTK, instead of Geany.

I am satisfied with the locations of the toolbar, sidebar, message window,
and the notebook tabs as I've configured them.

However occasionally I will temporarily like to move things around.
Currently there is limited flexibility to do so, and one has to access
preferences to do this.

I suggest the following features:
(1) Ability to move widgets around (like the side-bar) with snapping.
Things can always be locked in place to avoid annoyances due to accidental
moving.
(2) Autohide. I find this annoying myself generally. But I would find it
helpful in some circumstances. Again, autohide works best with an
"pin-in-place" button.
(3) Fading: I don't think I've seen this anywhere before, and hence might
be difficult to implement, but I think I'll find this very helpful. I
suggest that some/all widgets outside the editor be dimmed (low
contrast/brightness) at all times, but that they get lit up again when they
receive focus, or a mouse hover. I keep the sidebar visible always, and I
think fading it will reduce clutter. I need to look at the info on the
sidebar only when I'm intending to jump to another file/symbol. Likewise
for the notebook tabs, which I look at only when I'm switching tabs using
keyboard/mouse.

Thanks!
Niraj