[Geany] relative paths in project files: is there an option?

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu Jun 30 10:54:31 UTC 2011

>From your previous post...

> And i believe that such a use-case lies in the realm of gnome-text-editor instead of an IDE. IDEs are (traditionally) designed to manage specific source-based projects, not OS-wide collections of arbitrary trees.

Thats a very narrow view of what an IDE is/can be used for.  The
characteristics of an IDE encompass many more features than how they
manage trees, and those features are not just the prerogative of
"professional" programmers, it isn't reasonable to use Geany as open
source software and say that its features shouldn't be available to
other open source projects, however they are organised, and even if
they don't have .geany files in their repositories.  And copying a
.geany into the working tree is going to invite the attention of the
vcs.  And no you can't add *.geany to the .(your vcs here)ignore file,
its under control too.

On 30 June 2011 20:25, Stephan Beal <sgbeal at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 12:17 PM, Joerg Desch <jd.vvd at web.de> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 19:51:47 +1000
>> Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Its the sessions that bit Stephan.
>> I don't think so. But I think he will tell us... ;-)
>
> Lex was right -it was a side-effect of the session handling which bit me.
> But that only brought my attention to the fact that geany uses absolute
> paths for everything, so the "problem" is bigger than just session handling.

Other than sessions, the only paths in the project files are:

1. basepath which can be relative to the project file or absolute,  and
2.  build working directories which can be relative to the source file
or relative to the project or absolute.

All these are under user control, or have I missed some other problem?

> However, even if the session handling is changed to be
> per-project-file-instance (per USER would still have hosed me here), i feel
> very strongly that having absolute paths in the project file is
> fundamentally wrong.

Well, given that I am saying that really we shouldn't have *any*
session paths in the project file I guess we sort of agree here.  Just
not about how to fix it.