[Geany] RegEx search/replace start of line

Ross McKay rosko at xxxxx
Sun Mar 28 00:58:58 UTC 2010

Please help out a dope. I know I've done this before, many times, and
not had a problem, but today... not so much.

Geany built from r4788, Fedora 11 x86-64.

I want to prefix a bunch of lines with something, e.g. spaces or a tab
or, well, anything. Let's say X for the sake of picking an easy example.

Search: ^
Replace: X
Use regular expressions: ticked

Sample text:

example
example
example

Result:

XeXxXaXmXpXlXeX
XeXxXaXmXpXlXeX
XeXxXaXmXpXlXeX

OK, so I tried:

Search: ^(.)
Replace: X\1

Result was the same. Why my brain can't deal with this problem I truly
don't know, because I use RegEx search/replace hundreds of times a day
and yet this just doesn't compute for me. Please send answers or
tablets, I already have alcohol and caffeine :)
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
"Yeah, you just take your pill, and everything will be alright"