[Geany] Multiple windows

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+tools at xxxxx
Mon Aug 2 22:27:19 UTC 2010

Lex Trotman wrote:

> Welcome back Nick, good point, in that case I believe the
> functionality is in libwnck

I've actually research this a little further. Yes, libwnck
is designed to help wit things like this, but the libwnck
API hasn't stabilized yet and I wouldn't encourage its
usage until it has.

However, I have been able to write a small command like
program (research only, code ripped from Gedit) that can
detect the current workspace under both GNOME and KDE using
nothing more than GTK/GDK and X11 calls. I haven't tried
other desktop/window managers but I suspect it would also
work there.

If we then made the workspace name part of the geany socket
name, it would be trivial to search for a geany socket on
the right workspace and connect to that if present or to
start a new instance if its not.

Anyone see any problems with this? If not, I'll move this to
the devel list and see if we can get this added.

Cheers,
Erik