[Geany] RFC: removed Tabs and Spaces 'Hard tab width' pref

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Thu Apr 29 14:55:32 UTC 2010

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 07:21:12 +0200
Joerg Desch <jd.vvd at web.de> wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 14:14:21 +0100
> Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Nick.
>
> > I've removed the 'Hard tab width' GUI pref for the 'Tabs and Spaces'
> > indent type.
>
> I'm running a "german" geany. Not sure if you mean the tab width setting
> inside the editor settings (tab "indentation")?

This is why I removed the GUI setting - it is so confusing for people
who don't know the tab compression of spaces ('Tabs AND spaces') indent
mode.

This doesn't affect Tabs only or Spaces only indentation.

> > In case anyone has changed that option, the setting is still read
> > from the configuration file(s).
>
> Why that? If such a user install a new geany, he will get another
> behaviour of the indentation code. So why not print a warning while
> migrating an old configuration file and than remove it?

You can't migrate a non-standard *hard* tab width setting.

> What I'm really missing are the emacs modelines. My colleague uses tabs
> (with an width of 4) to indent his code. After adding the corresponding
> modeline, emacs recognizes his style and all went fine. Now I'm using
> Geany and I have some trouble with mixing his files with mine. So
> modelines would definitely a good thing.

This is another subject. Try posting in a new thread.

Regards,
Nick