[Geany] OT: How to get shorter lines in the Geany manual?

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue Sep 1 20:13:02 UTC 2009

On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 15:57:27 -0400, Randy wrote:

Hey,

>> Try editing your Geany.html and make the width element max-width and
>> see if we get the perfect solution, I get a fixed maximum width 60em
>> and you get variable wrapping for documents where that won't fit due
>> to large text. (suggestion taken from W3C WCAG 2.0 1.4.8 Visual
>> presentation, how to meet)
>
>Interesting, thanks for pointing that out to me--at
>http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/:
>
>Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0
> W3C Recommendation 11 December 2008
>1.4.8 Visual Presentation: For the visual presentation of blocks of
>text, a mechanism is available to achieve the following: (Level AAA)
>   1. Foreground and background colors can be selected by the user.
>   2. Width is no more than 80 characters or glyphs (40 if CJK).
>   3. Text is not justified (aligned to both the left and the right
>margins).
>   4. Line spacing (leading) is at least space-and-a-half within
>paragraphs, and paragraph spacing is at least 1.5 times larger than
>the line spacing.
>   5. Text can be resized without assistive technology up to 200
> percent
>in a way that does not require the user to scroll horizontally to read
>a line of text on a full-screen window.
>
>It took me a little bit to realize that the suggestion is to change
>the line:
>		width: 60em;
>
>to:
>		max-width: 60em;
>
>But that does seem to work for me, I wonder if it also works for
>Enrico (i.e., meets his objective / way of working)?

Yeah, it's great. For me nothing changed on a first glance (that's
what I wanted :D) but the text automatically wraps when the browser
window gets smaller than these 60 em (or the font gets bigger or the
half of the screen is cut off or ...:D).

So, yes! I think this is a perfect compromise for most of us (we
certainly will never reach the 'all').

If there are no objections, I'll commit this change soonish.

>Well, actually Enrico will probably see it here ;-)

He did :).