[Geany] Symbol Completion

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Thu Jul 16 15:22:11 UTC 2009

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 09:07:53 -0600, Ben wrote:

>2009/7/16 Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>
>
>> On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 19:57:32 -0600, Ben wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> >anyhow, my point:  Zend uses a php doc standard of using @param to
>> >identify paramters and then tooltips them as you complete a function
>> >name within you application. geany does this for language built-ins
>> >but I was curious if there is documentation on how to make this
>> >happen for javascript-language functions that are user
>> >functions... ?
>>
>> not really sure what you mean with "user functions". Are you talking
>> about embedded Javascript in HTML/PHP files?
>>
>> And if so, what exactly doesn't work and how should it work?
>>
>um, I mean, for example, functions I've created take for example:
>
>function do_stuff(param1,param2,param3)
>{
> return {param1,param2,param3
>}
>
>if for some strange reason this were built into the system, take php's
>str_replace, if I type 'str_r' I get a tooltip suggesting str_replace,

This is a called an auto-completion.

>and if I type it all the way out I get str_replace(string needle,string
>haystack,[optional param1],[optional param2]) in a tooltip

This is called a calltip.
(just for clarity)

>is geany designed to do this for things like this given my example, or
>am I doing it wrong?

As I just said in the other reply in this thread, it's currently not
supported by the PHP parser we use (based on the one from the CTags
project).

The difference to the standard PHP API is that the standard API tags
are created from the a list of the PHP API. See
http://git.geany.org/geany/tree/scripts/create_php_tags.php for
details. So the detailed argument list information come from PHP's
funcsummary.txt and are stored in Geany's php.tags (usually found
in /usr/share/geany/php.tags).