[Geany] Minor source touchups

Daniel Richard G. skunk at xxxxx
Mon Jan 19 19:25:00 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009 Jan 19 18:23:05 +0000, Nick Treleaven wrote:

> > * Various cases of foo() --> foo(void). (Come on guys... the only excuse is
> >   if you're older than dirt and still haven't broken your old K&R habits :)
>
> Or you are used to C++ or C99 ;-) My brain keeps saying the 'void'
> is redundant. But I updated my function snippet a while ago to do it
> for me usually.

It never hurts to make it explicit. In C, a prototype with empty parens is
sort of like a "wildcard" that will be consistent with any same-named
function prototype/definition that actually does give the formal params.
That's something one would use if s/he (A) didn't know what the real formal
params were, as in syscalls that take a void* or a char* depending on
platform, or (B) were too lazy to care ^_^  It's good to just put "void" in
there to make clear that neither of these is going on.

> But the real problem is that gcc doesn't warn about it (or I haven't
> found an option for gcc 4.1 anyway).

-Wstrict-prototypes :-)  The warning it gives you is "function declaration
isn’t a prototype".

--Daniel

--
NAME   = Daniel Richard G.       ##  Remember, skunks       _\|/_  meef?
EMAIL1 = skunk at iskunk.org        ##  don't smell bad---    (/o|o\) /