[Geany] Incremental Search Backward - the third

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Mon Mar 31 15:00:07 UTC 2008

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 16:55:09 +0100
Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:

> So, what to choose?
> - The changing background colour of the text field doesn't take any
> new space on the toolbar but still requires for each backward search
> that the keybinding is pressed.
> - The additional button for backwards search is probably most
> intuitive and most easy to use, but eats some space.
> - Combine both?
> - Anything completely different?

Really the main thing is the keybinding.

I think the issues are:
1. how to indicate backwards mode
2. how to save space
3. how to quickly search in the opposite direction

Personally I'm not keen on changing the background colour - it would
serve its purpose, but there's not really any logic to it - why should
backwards mode be a certain colour?

I think I made things more complicated by suggesting another button for
searching backwards - perhaps we should just have the one button. Then
in backwards mode, instead of the stock find icon, we can show the stock
up icon. That way we wouldn't need to change the colour, and we save
space.

The remaining thing for functionality could be if shift is
held when enter is pressed from the search bar, or when clicking the
find button, then reverse the search direction, just for that action.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Nick