[Geany] Find in files -> exclude version control dirs

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon Mar 17 12:22:32 UTC 2008

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 00:44:41 -0500, "Jeff Pohlmeyer"
<yetanothergeek at gmail.com> wrote:

> Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> > Jeff Pohlmeyer  <yetanothergeek at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Harold Aling <h.aling at home.nl> wrote:
>
> >  > >  It would be very handy if Geany would have a 'Exclude version control
> >  > >  files/dirs' checkbox in the 'Find in files' dialog (which even can be
> >  > >  enabled by default)
>
> >  > I just now stumbled across this:
> >  >   http://www.petdance.com/ack/
> >  > I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like it could be the right tool
> >  > for the job.
>
> >  Yeah, the description on the website sounds promising. I'll give it a
> >  try.
>
> Looks like I spoke too soon, sorry. Although it does look like a
> handy tool for searching from the command line,  the output format
> doesn't really fit very well with Geany's find in files output.
> (Someone who knows Perl could probably make it work quite easily.)
Its output can be trimmed to be like grep's,
ack --nocolor --nogroup
is a good start. Anyway. the FIF dialog is pretty much tuned for grep
and I don't think we really should change this. IMO the current state
is sufficient.
Maybe ack could support a compatibility mode for grep so that common
grep options are accepted and/or ignored. Currently, Geany passes -nHIF
by default to grep, I and F are rejected by ack. If those(and some
others) were accepted and ignored, one could use ack as a drop-in for
grep.
But I don't care much about it.

> But it does bring up the idea for some sort of tool to allow for
> more fine-grained search options, maybe a plugin or simply a
> program (or wrapper) to use instead of grep.
Sounds like an ideal idea for a plugin - yet another, super-featured
and super-easy to use grep frontend ;-).
(BTW right now there is not yet a plugin API for adding messages to the
Messages window)