[Geany] Some notes on Geanys project management

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Thu Mar 6 16:11:18 UTC 2008

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 13:30:42 +0200, Yura Siamashka <yurand2 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 17:58 +0100, Enrico Tröger wrote:
> > On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 16:35:40 +0000, Nick Treleaven
> > <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
> > I don't like what geanyprj is doing currently. I didn't have a deeper
> > look but Yura, you call reload_project() on every document-activate
> > event? So, everytime a user switch between files, the plugin searches
> > for ".geanyprj" and checks the type of the current project.
> > I really don't like this. Disk-IO on every tab change.
> You are correct. But this stuff is going to be in separate plugin that
> will handle geany native projects (2). It is really very useful for me.
> No need to bother with open/close projects, with this approach all I
> care are files. I think it is geany way of doing things. ;-)
>
> Why don't you like Disk-IO on document-activate? Most time it is just
> access check and it is really quick (no lag in interface). On ftp or
> sshfs it can takes time (didn't check). Is this is the reason?
Remote filesystems are one reason, another reason is that this is IMO
just unnecessary disk-IO which should be avoided. Think of hard drive
life times and maybe it can be also a performance issue on older
systems with older hard drives or when the hard drive is quite busy. I
really don't like this, it can cause heavy load when switching between
several times quickly.

> As a first step I suggest to write patch that will add "Generate files"
> and "Type" to project properties.If you have better idea how tag
> management should be handled lets discuss it.
Not yet, I need to play a bit more with your code. Just wait a few
days, no need to hurry and do things twice :D.