[Geany] Whole word searches with non-word edges

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Mon Jan 28 13:34:34 UTC 2008

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 13:02:20 -0600
"Jeff Pohlmeyer" <yetanothergeek at gmail.com> wrote:

> When I search a file using grep's -w switch, or using the
> "whole word" search option in other editors, if the search
> term begins or ends with a non-word character, the editors
> I tested will still find the match, but Geany does not.
>
> For instance, Geany does not treat "return;" (sans quotes)
> in the same way as (most?) other editors.[1]
>

> Is this a bug, or intended behavior?

Intended behaviour - although maybe it could be improved. At least a
warning would be useful instead of the search failed message.

What behaviour do the other editors do - switch off word matching
if the search string contains a non-word character?

Regards,
Nick