[Geany] incremental search backward revisited

Jeff Pohlmeyer yetanothergeek at xxxxx
Mon Jan 28 02:22:48 UTC 2008

On Jan 27, 2008 7:28 PM, John Gabriele <jmg3000 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think Nick's suggestion for a keybinding to enter to search field in
> a reverse search mode is ideal for keyboard-only users, but it would
> be nice to also have a visual cue to tell you you're in reverse mode.

Still another idea, since the search field already has a popup menu,
maybe you could add a check-able menu item to the popup menu.

But once the menu is closed, it still doesn't provide any visual
cue to which mode it's in.  Maybe we could turn the magnifying
glass upside-down? ;-)

> What would work nicely for that is if you changed the background color
> of the search field to, say, light blue or cyan, when in that mode.

The default colors for the text entry background/foreground
can be overridden by the user in the ~/.gtkrc-2.0 file.

So if  the user has it configured for e.g. light blue text
on a dark brown background, changing the background to light
blue might be an unpleasant surprise. But I'm sure there could be
a workaround for that, maybe a hidden pref or something...

 - Jeff