[Geany] Very odd problem in geany with python script

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Wed Jan 16 07:09:03 UTC 2008

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 12:02:34 -0500, "Ing. Nestor Alonso Torres"
<nestor at electrica.cujae.edu.cu> wrote:

> Hi:
>
> Last night I was working with Python in Geany, and when running the
> following code, I obtain different behaviors:
>
> <code>
> [snipped the code]
> </code>
>
> Paste the code in geany, and save it as, let's say, bang.py. Then
Just to prevent others from the same mistake I did: all after "dictio
=" until "'day'}" has to be on one line.

> press F5 to get it running. You'll see some garbage in the white
> windows that pops up, like this:
I guess the white window is a xterm?

> abcdש××× ×ר×ש×××ק×××
>
> but not the last words.
Seems like the started terminal(look in preferences dialog -> Tools ->
Terminal) doesn't support Unicode.
VTE does support Unicode and so the output works in the embedded VTE in
Geany.

> But, if you run it from terminal (system terminal or VTE inside
> Geany), you will get:
What is your "system terminal"? Try to set it in the preferences dialog
and try what happens.

> abcdשבחי ירושליםxyz דקלון ש Ticking away the moments
> that makes up a dull day
>
> That was what I was expecting!
This is also what I get with the embedded VTE in Geany and with Terminal
(the terminal emulation of Xfce, which also uses VTE) and I get this
also with Unicode-enabled xterm.

> Also, when the example code was running in a loop (with F5), with
> different dictionaries, the dictionaries prior to this one, were shown
> correctly, but it stop showing text from this dictionary on.
I guess this is related to the above.