[Geany] Plugin licensing

Jeff Pohlmeyer yetanothergeek at xxxxx
Mon Jan 7 04:53:33 UTC 2008

On Jan 5, 2008 3:18 PM, Jeff Pohlmeyer <yetanothergeek at gmail.com> wrote:

> "This means the plug-ins must be released under the GPL
> or a GPL-compatible free software license, and that the
> terms of the GPL must be followed when those plug-ins
> are distributed."

> huh????

> They can be *released* under any GPL-compatible
> license, but the GPL must be followed when they
> are *distributed* ??? What the heck does that mean?

Sorry if my previous post sounded a little harsh, I
wasn't screaming at anyone here, just expressing
frustration at my own inability to understand this
stuff.

After cooling down and thinking about it for a while,
I think maybe what they are trying to say is that the
source code for the plugin must be publicly available.

For instance, the MIT license is compatible with the GPL,
but there is nothing in the MIT that requires the author
to release the source code.

But in order to *release* a plugin under the MIT license,
and *distribute* it in line with the GPL, the source must
be released as well.

Does that make sense?

 - Jeff