[Geany] Plugin licensing

Jeff Pohlmeyer yetanothergeek at xxxxx
Sat Jan 5 21:18:02 UTC 2008

On Jan 5, 2008 1:59 PM, John Gabriele <jmg3000 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Regarding the "or later" clause, the GPL faq
> has this to say about it:
> And regarding plug-ins:

Thanks for the links - that is some interesting reading,
but it seems like the more I read about the GPL, the less
I understand it :-)

The "VersionThreeOrLater" link seems to explain why the clause
is an advantage to end users, but I fail to see how that provides
any protection to developers who might not agree with the terms
in a future version of the license.

The "GPLAndPlugins" link says:

"This means the plug-ins must be released under the GPL
or a GPL-compatible free software license, and that the
terms of the GPL must be followed when those plug-ins
are distributed."

huh????

They can be *released* under any GPL-compatible
license, but the GPL must be followed when they
are *distributed* ??? What the heck does that mean?

 - Jeff