[Geany] Common SVN repository for plugins

Jeff Pohlmeyer yetanothergeek at xxxxx
Fri Jan 4 18:09:49 UTC 2008

I'm responding to several different messages
at once here, hope you can follow it...

> > if the people here would rather keep a central location
> > for all Geany plugins.

> No, at least not me. I only intented to offer the
> possiblity to use Geany's SVN not to force external
> plugin authors to do so

Yes, I understand you weren't trying to force anything.

What I was trying to say is that I don't want to feel
like the "odd man out" if everyone else wants to move
their plugins into Geany's SVN.

> Well, IIRC there is no way at sourceforge to finetune
> access permissions of the SVN repo, everyone who has
> write access can write all files in the repo. But I
> think this isn't a problem as long as nobody commits
> any code in paths where he shouldn't.

Hmmm.. I thought maybe you could to set up restrictions
for various users and directories. Of course it's up to you,
but it seems like it might turn into a real administrative
nightmare, whether to allow John Doe write access to the
entire repository for his new coffeemaker plugin, or risk
hurting his feelings by rejecting it.

> One major show stopper would be that on Linux you can't
> just install a binary plugin that will work across
> different distributions, versions of glibc, etc.

And things get even more complicated if the plugin requires
additional third-party libraries or applications, like maybe
libpython, etc...

And to add one more dependency, I imagine the plugin format
would require some sort of archiving and compression library.

> There is another problem with installing binaries from
> the net: security.  A security aware user shouldn't
> install or use any binaries without proper verification.

Which I think also argues for keeping SVN commit access to
a bare minimum.

> To make a long story short, if anyone feels really bored,
> please go for it and write a plugin for a plugin manager
> of this kind.

I think I'll pass on that one :-)

 - Jeff