Plugin macros/typedefs (was Re: [Geany] Re: Lua plugin 0.5.0 released)

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Fri Jan 4 12:55:39 UTC 2008

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 12:31:06 -0600
"Jeff Pohlmeyer" <yetanothergeek at gmail.com> wrote:

> IMO, the names from pluginmacros.h should be all uppercase.
> I know this will break all of the existing plugins, but I think it is
> much better in the long run, it makes the code more readable,
> at least for me.

I think if we're going to break compatibility it would be good to use
CamelCase for the document and filetype type names, like we do for all
other types - e.g. Document, Filetype.

If we do this we could phase it in - e.g. in the next release
provide typedef aliases for document and filetype, and encourage
everyone to port their plugin code over to that. Then after the release
we can remove the current typenames.

For now I would suggest just removing the filetype macro from
pluginmacros.h, and add it after the 0.13 release.

Regards,
Nick

P.S. Consistency is my main reason for wanting to do this, but also I'm
not keen on all uppercase macros in this case. They have to be used a
lot, and are to save typing. Typing uppercase for me would probably
make me just go back to using the full geany_data->utils->...