[Geany] Modifying the document browser's behavior

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Wed Feb 27 13:28:44 UTC 2008

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 13:29:22 +0100
Joerg Desch <jd.vvd at web.de> wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 11:57:55 +0000
> Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> Hi.
>
> > Sounds good, I wonder how it knows what directories to prune -
> > e.g. for /home/user/code/project/includes presumably all the parent
> > dirs are stripped. I guess it could remove any parent paths which
> > appear in all documents.
>
> IMO this should be the project path. Until Geany has real "project
> support", stripping the common part is one way to do it.

Probably using the project path would be easier. But Geany allows files
from outside the project open, so I think removing common paths would
be the neatest solution, but this could be implemented later. Another
bonus is that it would work when no project was open.

@Adam Plumb:
You could ignore the pruning directories part, (at least for the first
implementation), that would take longer to code ;-)

> Another way is the manual grouping. A colleague of mine always uses
> this approach. He create a group and adds some file to it. There is
> no path visible, only the group as node. He uses Mr.Ed as editor (on
> Windows).

Personally I don't like this, you'd have to do it at every startup
unless the groups were remembered, and a useful auto-group would still
be useful anyway.

Regards,
Nick