[Geany] RFC: Bumping minimum GTK requirement to GTK 2.8

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Dec 28 10:38:13 UTC 2008

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 18:16:48 +0000, Nick Treleaven
<nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 18:59:52 +0100
>"Filip Gruszczyński" <gruszczy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Maybe you should try to set to branches of Geany and support one for
>> GTK 2.6 and another one for 3.0. This would satisfy both users with
>> older GTK and the ones, that would like to get all this new
>> functionality.
>
>It depends, that might be more work than adding copies of the
>deprecated functions or workarounds. It'd be awkward to backport new
>features, so I would prefer a Geany that supported both gtk 2 and 3,
>if possible to do reasonably.

Maintaining two branches of Geany just to support a four year old
toolkit version is a bad idea.

At some point it just doesn't make much sense anymore to support
everything from the past, we are joining the future, not holding back
to happened things.
And for all people who have or want to use such old GTK versions, they
still can use older Geany versions (that is at least Geany <= 0.15 or
0.16, depending on when and how we increase the requirements).

Just let's increase the minimum GTK version to 2.8 for Geany 0.16, and
see what happens afterwards (regarding further increasements).

GTK 2.12 would be cool in the long-term, with 2.14 we actually could
work towards 3.0 compatiblity (e.g. GSeal) but I'm afraid we are far
away from this point :). But GTK 3.0 will also take still some time
before it appears.