[Geany] Geany wishlist

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Mon Sep 24 15:27:06 UTC 2007

On 24/09/07 14:36:55, Catalin Marinas wrote:
> - Tags generation for C/C++ files shouldn't use the C preprocessor. I
> try to use it with the Linux kernel but there is no way I could add
> the required Linux definitions and includes on the "geany -g" command
> line, especially when I build the kernel outside the source tree and
> extra links are required for the include directories. Since geany can

OK. I've only used it for generating tags for installed libraries, e.g.
GTK, then I can just pass CFLAGS=`pkg-config gtk+-2.0 --cflags`.

> generate the tags from the loaded files directly, I don't understand
> why it calls cpp when running from the command line. My current

It can be useful - for the GTK example I only have to pass the main
gtk.h header file and the preprocessor will include the rest. But I
think we could add an option not to preprocess files. I hadn't thought
of it before - I assumed that if the preprocessor has errors they can
just be ignored - doesn't this work?

> [...]
> - Allow additional regexp to be specified for tag detection (I do
> this
> with ctags)

Out of interest, when would you use that? Perhaps it's better just to
improve the language parsers.

> - "find *next* tag definition/declaration" command as it normally
> stops at the first definition. There could be others, especially in
> the Linux kernel when many functions have different implementations
> depending on the architecture

Sounds good.

> - Command to find a tag definition via a dialogue box rather than the
> word in an editor

Good again ;-)

> - Navigating back after finding a tag should go to the previous
> position where the find command was invoked. It currently goes to the
> beginning of the buffer if the tag was found in the current buffer
> (more annoying) or returns to one line before the previous position
> (acceptable, though it would be better to return on the same line and
> column)

Sorry, I don't really understand this. Do you mean goto tag definition
or find? Also I can't reproduce the off-by-one-line problem.

> - Some preferences should be per project or file type to accommodate
> different coding standards (i.e. Linux kernel work vs some internal
> company project). I also prefer Python indentation to use spaces and
> indentation to use tabs but geany only supports one setting for all

We have been meaning to do this. One workaround is to use different
configuration directories with the -c option, but this clearly isn't
ideal.

> - Remember the opened files per project rather than global (unless no
> project was opened). I work on more than one project and start
> several
> geany instances

Again, this is planned - but we hadn't updated the TODO to say it(!)

Regards,
Nick