[Geany] None-type colours - bug or feature? + split page?

John Gabriele jmg3000 at xxxxx
Fri Mar 9 16:21:13 UTC 2007

On 3/9/07, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 10:38:18 -0500, "John Gabriele" <jmg3000 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On 3/9/07, Mikhail Savitsky <mikhail.savitsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Dear developers,
> > >
> > > 1. I am using geany in colour-inverted mode, but I do not think
> > > this is essential to the problem.
> > > When I open a file with un-recognised extension, say .txt, is has
> > > type "None" and is black-on-white.
> > > When I switch the file type to, say, "Config file" is becomes
> > > colour-inverted, as it should have been
> > > when opened. Switching back to "None" keeps it colour-inverted,
> > > again as it is expected to be.
> > > Thus, to see a None-type file in correct colour (white-on-black) I
> > > have to switch its type to something and
> > > then back to "None". Minor nuisance or feature?
> >
> > Misha, I've got the same issue. Though, I'm not using "color-inverted"
> > mode -- instead, I've got some custom dark-themed low-contrast
> > filetypes files set up (moved to
> > http://www.milliwatt-software.com/jmg/files/colors_to_hex.tar.gz from
> > /temp BTW).
> >
> > Seems like it would be nice if there were a filetypes.none file where
> > I could just set foreground and background. I tried copying
>
> Should we add one? Is it necessary? At the moment, the only values for
> filetype None are the fore- and background colour which are by default
> black and white(and in the last SVN version the other way around if
> invert_all is set). But we can also add the file filetype.none with
> just the one line to change the fore- and background colours.

I just grabbed and built r1378. When I open up a README, it's the same
as before (black fg on white bg). But now I can't fiddle around
(switching filetype) and get my nice dark bg light fg back!

I tried creating a ~/.geany/filedefs/filetypes.none file containing only:

[styling]
# foreground;background;bold;italic
default=0xf0f0f0;0x5f5f5f;false;false

and restarted Geany, but it doesn't seem to read it. It would be great
if you could add a filetypes.none so I can read generic files with the
same bg/fg as the rest of my files. :)

> > > 2. Any plans for splitting page?
> >
> > Oooh. Another feature that would be handy. I got used to split-window
> > in Emacs (and jEdit too) and now I'm a bit spoiled. :)
>
> I really don't like it. Yesterday, Tim Tassonis mentioned "We don't
> want another emacs, do we?" ;-).
>
> Well, I'm not completely against the split-window feature but I don't
> see a reasonably way to implement it beside the current way of tab
> positioning(read: the notebook tabs).

Split windows is useful for me because I sometimes need to read what's
on one side while typing into the other. Maybe I'm
copying-but-modifying a bit of text or code that I'd rather not
copy/paste, or more likely I'm reading some docs in a text file while
doing what it's describing. The alternative to this is to have the 2nd
file open in a pager in a terminal window, and then either Alt-Tab
between the terminal and Geany, or else stick the other window on
another virtual desktop and Ctrl-Alt-Arrow back and forth (which is a
bit jarring).

The 2nd common use of split windows for me is when editing two parts
of a given file simultaneously. This mostly happens when adding POD
docs to a Perl script -- the POD is often at the bottom, but the
function I'm documenting is somewhere in the middle of the file. Split
window lets me look at the thing I'm documenting while writing the
docs.

---John