[Geany] Feature Request: FTP Support

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Thu Mar 8 12:38:04 UTC 2007

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 00:19:16 +0100, Tim Tassonis <timtas at cubic.ch>
wrote:

Hi,

> I sincerely hope stuff like this will never, ever be added.
>
> We don't want another emacs, do we?
Surely not ;-).

> Lisandro schrieb:
> > Thanks Alexandre... but...
> > I'm using ubuntu and when i'd connect to my remote server (SFTP)
> > i can't access to the mounted server from geany.
> > I can from others editors like gedit.
Well, if you use the mentioned LUFS or FUSE, it will work because your
remote directory is mounted like an usual, local partition. Geany
doesn't know anything about SSH or any other remote stuff and it just
works. And it works with any other application without additional work
(and independent of it is a Gnome/KDE/whatever app). Seems like a big
advantage to me.

> This is probably because gedit is linked againts gnome-vfs, which
> does that kind of stuff. It is also linked against another good part
> of the known universe, as it is a gnome app. I exactly like geany so
> much because it doesn't have unconditional corba dependencies and
> stuff, just a gui toolkit and the standard system stuff should be
> enough.
Exactly this was the idea when starting to write Geany. Not depending
on any unnecessary libraries and keeping it small and simple.