[Geany] tuning Geany key combos

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Fri Jun 29 15:36:29 UTC 2007

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 11:08:49 -0400, "John Gabriele" <jmg3000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Nick,
>
> Just to sum up what you wrote:
Nice, a little summary is really a good idea ;-).

> Also, Enrico
>
> * suggested using Alt-I for some special indentation behaviour he has
> in mind.
No. Alt-I was just an idea but as we noticed Alt should be avoided to
not conflict with GUI elements. So, maybe Alt-Shift-I could be used or
something else.

> * doesn't seem crazy about the toggle (at least for changing case of a
> selection), but then mentions that Ctrl-B could still toggle line
> commenting.
Well, I don't really care. As long as I can redefine the keys to my own
preferences I'm happy ;-).
My actual point is:
I would like to leave Ctrl-U/Ctrl-Shift-U for changing case like it is.
About the comment/uncomment/comment toggling functions I don't really
care. We could remove the default bindings for comment/uncomment and
only set comment toggling to whatever seems well (ok, Scite's Ctrl-Q
obviously isn't a good choice).

> It sounds like what you're saying is that you don't see that as much
> of a concern (maybe it isn't -- it just seems so to me :) ).
At least not until this thread ;-). Anyway, it is good to talk about it
and to improve Geany by this.

> Looking at the key bindings for terminal-based editors, I can see how
> they were limited by not having certain keys available to them (like
> not always having the named key (PgUp, PgDn, Delete, etc., or not
> always being able to use Shift with other modifier keys), so maybe
> they couldn't always be as consistent as they wanted.
I think being consistent with a terminal-based editor is too difficult
for a GUI editor. Only think of the Alt key, which is AFAIK completely
available in non-graphical environments but almost can't be used in GUI
apps. Small example: the Midnight Commander uses Alt-Tab for
shell-like tab completion. Nice feature but completely unusable if you
use mc in a terminal window under X because there Alt-Tab is used for
cycling between open windows. Ok, obviously mc wasn't written for
graphical environments but it shows this consistency would be very hard.
IMO we should be consistent with other GUI apps and maybe Emacs as far
as it is possible (hopefully nobody comes up who likes vi ;-)).