[Geany] inserting unicode characters

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon Aug 27 21:34:05 UTC 2007

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 13:02:10 -0400, "John Gabriele" <jmg3000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 8/27/07, Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
> > On 08/27/2007 12:02:35 PM, Enrico Tröger wrote:
> > > On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 14:32:53 -0400, "John Gabriele"
> > > <jmg3000 at gmail.com>

> > > unicode
> > > then
> > > hit
> > > è,
> > > As I told you I didn't forget about this but did some testing. And
> > > finally, the solution so very simple ;-).
> > > Just unbind Ctrl-Shift-U in the preferences editor, restart Geany
> > > and you are done. The restart is necessary because of the menu
> > > item mnemonics which are set by default. But after the restart of
> > > Geany, Ctrl-Shift-U should work.
> > >
> > > Just press Ctrl-Shift-u, then keep Ctrl and Shift pressed down and
> > > type
> > > u264d and hit Return.
> > >
> > I find on my system (Fedora 5, Xfce 4.2, Gtk 2.8, LANG=en_US.UTF-8)
> > I don't need to type ctrl-shift-u, just hold ctrl-shift whilst
> > typing the unicode numbers.
> > Also, what does the d mean in u264d - for me I can press any key,
> > e.g. right arrow after typing the numbers and the unicode char is
> > inserted. If I type 'd' then the unicode char followed by 'd' is
> > inserted.
> >
> > I just thought - that trailing d is for decimal, right ;-)
No, as John told it's part of the unicode character. 0x264 is ɤ and
0x264d is ♍.

> I'm not familiar with Xfce, but holding down Shift-Ctrl and then just
> typing hex digits seems odd to me, since it wastes an awful lot of
> available key combos (ex.
> Shift-Ctrl-{0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,a,b,c,d,e,f}).
See below.

> Also, the nice thing about the Gnome way is that, since you don't have
> to hold down the Shift and Ctrl keys, it frees up your fingers to type
> the hex number.
This isn't a Gnome thing but a GTK thing. The behaviour changed in GTK
2.10. Before, in GTK 2.6 and 2.8, you had only to press Ctrl-Shift and
type the hex number, since GTK 2.10 you have to type Ctrl-Shift-u to
get it working. It's a GTK feature, not Gnome. One of the reasons for
changing the behaviour is the waste of keybindings which John mentioned
above.