[Geany] tabulators

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Fri Apr 27 17:37:30 UTC 2007

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 13:24:37 -0400, "John Gabriele" <jmg3000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 4/27/07, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> > On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 08:38:45 +0200, Jelle de Jong
> > <jelledejong at powercraft.nl> wrote:
> >
> > > Just a comment, I would really like to be able to switch with a
> > > short cut between tab 4 and tab 8 like is possible with mousepad.
> >
> > Ok, I'll go to add it. But I'm still not convinced that it will be a
> > commonly used feature ;-).
>
> Just curious: what is the Jelle talking about? The only place I see a
> setting for tabs is in Edit --> Prefs --> Files tab, with "Tab Width"
> and the "replace tabs by space" checkbox.
>
> If it's just a matter of making the tab key work twice when you hit it
> once, why not just hit the tab key twice when you want to indent more?
He wants to switch the tab width with a shortcut between 4 and 8. I
don't know exactly but I guess because he uses different source code
files and some are with a tab width of 4 and some with 8. In general,
it should't be a problem as long as all indentation is done with tabs.
But when mixing tab indentation with spaces a fixed tab width is
useful. I would prefer to not mix tabs and spaces and we hadn't to
discuss this.

> Not sure if this is related, but one feature that's useful for folks
> who use all spaces all the time is a way to insert a real tab
> character into a file (the only place I can think of where this is
> useful is for editing a makefile). Can Geany do this? I don't see a
> key command for it in Help --> Keyboard shortcuts, or  Prefs --> Key
> Bindings, or in Appendix B of the docs. If Geany can't do it, I
> recommend an "insert real tab" menu item in the Edit menu. This
> feature probably wouldn't get a lot of use, so I'd suggest it doesn't
> need to take up a key binding. Incidentally, not sure how well that
> would work when you have the "replace tabs by spaces" pref enabled...
I already thought about that problem. Probably it is useful to use
always tabs when we are editing a Makefile but an option to insert just
a real tab is less filetyper specific and can be used more generally.
I'm not sure at the moment.