[Geany-Devel] Helping Geany move forward: testing

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sun Apr 30 11:40:43 UTC 2017

On 29 April 2017 at 23:15, Vasiliy Faronov <vfaronov at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 2:58 PM, Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The vast majority are therefore not testing anything in master prior
>> to release, so they are not helping stabilise the release.  Thats no
>> help. (Of course users are not expected to help stabilise the
>> release).
>
> By the way, I think it might be a good idea to call on users for more testing.

Well, it can't hurt :)

> Many of them must be technical people who wouldn't be scared by Git
> and may be interested in improvements. At least on Linux, it's
> (relatively) easy to build Geany from Git and run it with a copy of
> one's normal config. So it's easy and safe to try PRs out at least
> briefly.

Yes, its only a "one-liner" (well it would be one line if the mailer
didn't wrap it :) after you have installed the prerequisites using
your package manager:

mkdir /some/where/geany; cd /some/where/geany;
git clone https://github.com/geany/geany.git; cd geany;
./autogen.sh --prefix=/some/where/geany; make install;
cd ../bin; ./geany -c ../config

This keeps everything inside /some/where/geany, so you can delete it
all, and it doesn't affect any geany release you have installed in the
system location, doesn't need system privileges, doesn't overwrite
your home directory config, so you can mess with things to your hearts
content.  It is preferred that you use a clean config for testing if
your normal Geany is an earlier version, but it then won't hurt to
copy your normal one to /some/where/geany/config afterwards.  Remember
config is a directory.

To avoid gitting it (waa waa) you can also use the nightly tarball
http::/download.geany.org/geany_git.tar.gz and you don't need the
Autotools stuff either.

mkdir /some/where/geany;

Then just use your browser to download and the GUI extractor that your
distro has to get the tarball and extract it into git_geany in
/some/where/geany.  Or your favourite command line tools, but every
distro has a browser and an extractor.

cd /some/where/geany/git_geany;
./configure --prefix=/some/where/geany;
make install; cd ../bin; ./geany -c ../config

We really should publish it as the basic process for building from git
and nightly, and a definitive list of dependencies and tools, the
README waffles on about all the GTK deps etc. makes it sound complex
but they should all be provided from your package manager, and it
doesn't mention libvte or that most tools will be provided by the
dev_basics packages, in fact actually doesn't ever cleanly list whats
needed.

There is a nightly Deb package built which you could use, but it will
overwrite your system version of Geany (IIUC).

> I mean, at the moment geany.org doesn't even mention testing in its
> "Contribute" sections.

Well, a "Call for testers" on the front page would be better still,
(in flashing orange and purple striped text -- ok maybe not).

Enrico, any comment?