[Geany-Devel] Helping Geany move forward: testing

Thomas Martitz kugel at xxxxx
Sat Apr 29 10:48:39 UTC 2017

Am 29.04.2017 um 02:35 schrieb Lex Trotman:
> On 29 April 2017 at 09:55, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:

>>> Helping to test PRs is truly needed, and much appreciated.
>>>
>>> However, I do think that Geany lacks also actual developers that cna
>>> merge stuff. I feel the current team is afraid of merging non-trivial
>>> changes, leaving even semi-complex patches to Colomban. Unfortunately
>>> Colomban has little time these days, too, so we're kind of stuck. There
>>> are lots of PRs that have recent activity from the authors and are
>>> tested appropriately but still don't get attention from developers.
>>>
>> My general problem is that we don't have a unstable/development branch per
>> se, nor proper automated testing, and I don't want to break master so I
>> won't merge a single thing without testing it thoroughly myself. This can
>> turn a 5-10 minute merge into a several hours or more testing session,
>> requiring special setups and re-compiling Geany on 3 different OSes, etc.
> I have to agree with Matthew that:
>
> 1. Nobody wants to break master because its what everybody is using.
> Problem is that if we had a development branch nobody would be using
> it because it might break, so its insufficiently tested.  I don't have
> a solution to that.

master *is* the development branch. It's not a stable branch that must
not be broken at all costs. It's also not true that everyone is using
master. The vast majority is using releases, and in fact we do regular
releases so that we can use master as a true development branch. Even I
don't use master (a very regular contributor) for my clone that I use
daily. I always fork the last release, merge my changes, and backport
individual commits from master (via cherry-pick). Of course I develop
features based on master, so I do test the master branch on a regular basis.

So yes, if you are afraid of doing development on the development
branch, it's clear that we're struggling to get anything done. Sure, one
can expect that PRs are perfect before getting merged, but the current
situation shows that this is not working if you want to get something
done in a timely manner.

 From another angle, both of you could easily create a development
branch. But you didn't so far. Anyway, how is that workflow supposed to
work? If lots of PRs go through an intermediate branch then merging that
intermediate branch into master is going to be a nightmare too.

Best regards.